A New Year is upon us, and while you’re making personal resolutions like to eat healthier and exercise more often, consider making some resolutions in regards to your home, too. The New Year offers a fresh start and is a great time to make positive changes in all aspects of your life. Not only should you plan to take care of your health, but also make sure your home is safe for your family in preparation for the year ahead.
New Year’s Home Safety Tips
Here are just a few New Year’s home safety tips to add to your list of resolutions this year:
- Set a schedule to check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If it’s been a while since you made sure your smoke detector and your carbon monoxide detector are working properly, the first day of the new year is a perfect reminder to test them out and replace the batteries if necessary. Many people use daylight savings time as another reminder to swap the batteries in these detectors, too.
- Get your chimney inspected. If you have a fireplace and use it frequently- or you will be using it frequently over the course of the winter- set a reminder or place a note somewhere to remember to schedule an annual inspection and cleaning.
- Replace window coverings with cordless options. Modern window covering options are safer now, with no cords that could potentially harm children. If you’re planning on replacing any of the blinds or shades throughout your home, make sure to choose cordless options.
- Keep the curtains closed. On the same note, keep your curtain, blinds or shades closed so that potential burglars can’t see what kind of great things you have in your home.
- Check doors and windows often. Routinely check windows and doors throughout the home to make sure they’re locked. It’s reported that around 20% of burglaries occur because a first floor window or door was left unlocked, making the home easily accessible.
- Update or activate your home security system. If you have a home security system and let the coverage lapse, now is the time to reactivate it or update it. Or, if your family has become somewhat forgetful about setting the system before they leave the house, reinforce the importance of doing so. If you don’t currently have a home security system, consider installing one in the new year- your home will be one third less likely to be burglarized if you have a home security system.
- Clean out the medicine cabinet. Expired medications and prescriptions can be dangerous to your family. Once a year, take a look at what you’ve got in your medicine cabinet or first aid kits and safely dispose of items that are past the expiration date.
- Review your home emergency kit. Likewise, get rid of expired medications and supplies in your home emergency kit. It’s vital that you keep this kit up to date, so go through the contents once a year, replacing expired items with fresh ones and make sure you have everything you need in the kit, like small tools, extra clothing, supplies for small children or pets, etc.
Keep these tips in mind to ensure your family will be safe throughout the year ahead. Happy New Year from Machor Sage Insurance Agency!